The taste combination of the seasoned tri tip, blue cheese and caramelized onions makes this another amazing tri tip recipe!
2 6-ounce tri tip steaks
Steak seasoning of your choice (for the video, I used Tatonka Dust)
For the caramelized onions:
1 large yellow onion, sliced
2 tablespoons salted butter
1 tablespoon brown sugar
For the butter:
1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
3 tablespoons salted butter, softened
1) Mix together softened butter and blue cheese until combined. Refrigerate until it is time to plate the food.
2) In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter on medium heat and add onions. Stir occasionally until the onions soften and brown, about 5-8 minutes. Add brown sugar and stir for about a minute to combine with the butter and juices in the pan. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, for another 3-5 minutes. Turn off the heat.
3) Season both sides of the steaks with a seasoning of your choice. Place the steaks on a medium low heated grill (about 325 °F) and close the lid, cooking over direct heat. Cooking times will vary depending on the thickness of the meat (our steaks were 1 inch thick, which took 15 minutes to cook; we flipped over 7-8 minutes in). Adjust your cooking time to achieve your preferred temperature level.
4) When steaks are finished, allow them to rest for 5 minutes to allow juices to disperse throughout the meat.
5) Put your plate together:
- Place a spoonful of marinated onions on the plate
- Lay the steak on top
- Finish with a scoop of blue cheese butter
Serve up this delicious tri tip recipe to your friends – very delicious!