This is the first time I’ve wrapped a tri tip roast in another piece of meat, and I guarantee that it won’t be the last! Prosciutto is a thinly sliced ham (which I lovingly call “fancy ham” and is easy to find in the deli section) that provides an amazing taste combination with the tri tip. You MUST give this tri tip recipe a try!
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, freshly grated
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
4-6 slices prosciutto (Amount depends on the size of the roast. Larger roast=more prosciutto)
1. Heat grill to medium low (300°F) and set up to cook the roast using indirect heat (in other words, the flame source is not directly below the roast).
2. Spread minced garlic on top of steak. Add parmesan and parsley on top. After, wrap the tri tip roast CAREFULLY with the slices of prosciutto.
3. Gently place steak onto grill, garlic side up. Remember – you are not cooking over the flame, so the roast (or rather, the prosciutto) will not catch fire. Also, you do NOT need to flip it or even open the cover to check it. I know you will probably open the grill (because that’s what we do…) but you want to keep your grill temperature as constant as possible.
4. When steak is cooked to medium-rare/medium (135°F – 145°F internal temperature), let the tri tip rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
5. Cut 1-inch slices to serve. Each serving should be wrapped in prosciutto and have a portion of the rub.
This is an amazing tri tip recipe that your family and friends will love! CHEERS!