Tri Tip Lollipops are a tasty treat and a lot of fun for both kids and adults. Cook these up as pre-meal snacks or have them as a side dish. Enjoy!
1) Slice an inch off of the top of the entire tri tip roast. Once cut, flatten the cut with a meat mallet (or potato masher…hey – it’s what I had available!).
2) Cover the tri tip cut with about a ¼ inch layer of ground sausage. Bonus Tip: Experiment with sausage flavors – kick up the spice with some linguica or chorizo sausage.
3) Roll the meat up into a loaf and wrap in plastic wrap
4) Place the meat log in the freezer for 45 minutes. This will give the loaf enough time to firm up and become grill ready. Also, prepare your wood skewers by placing them in water – this will prevent your skewers from catching fire.
5) About 5 minutes before you take the meat out of the freeze, light up the grill. Remove from the freezer and take the plastic wrap off.
6) Stick the skewers in every inch or so, then slice between the skewers to create the lollipops.
7) Put each meat lollipop on the grill and cook on each side for 4-5 minutes. Don’t cover your grill so that you can be aware of potential flare ups.
8) Remove from the grill and serve immediately. Have your guests hold the skewers to eat – the meat should be tender enough to bite it right off the stick. Experiment with dipping sauces.