This simple tri tip recipe is fun to make with the kids and cooks quickly on the grill. Includes a tasty chili dipping sauce recipe.
Ingredients (makes up to 10 skewers)
1 lb tri tip steak, cut into bite sized chunks
2 large red bell peppers, cut into 1″ pieces
2 large yellow or orange bell peppers, cut into 1″ pieces
1 red onion, cut into 1″ strips
2 zucchini or summer squashes, cut into 1/2″ thick coins
Vegetable or Olive Oil Spray
8-10 wooden skewers, soaked in water for 20 minutes
1) Cut 1 pound of tri tip into 1 inch cubes. Marinade if you feel inclined, but don’t marinade longer than 2 hours (you want to be able to taste the tri tip).
2) Cut the vegetables into 1” pieces.
3) Before skewering the food, make sure that you soak the wooden skewers in water for AT LEAST 20 minutes. This will ensure that the wood will be saturated enough to not catch fire while on the grill.
4) Alternate the vegetables with the pieces of tri tip (1 pepper, 1 zucchini, 1 tri tip, 1 onion, etc…). Use all of the food you have cut. Get creative – use more veggies on one and more meat on another.
5) Spray the skewers with some vegetable spray (olive oil spray is tastier) and lightly sprinkle some sea salt on one side – don’t over season!
6) Preheat your grill to 350° (medium low). Cook the skewers for about 5 minutes per side, until the meat is cooked through and the vegetables are slightly charred.
7) Serve immediately with some chili dipping sauce on the side:
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonaise
- 3 tbsp chili sauce (such as Sriracha)
Directions: Mix all of the ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Add more or less chili sauce as needed. This is a great complement to these kabobs. Enjoy this tri tip recipe!